Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wow, it's amazing how much perspective a year can give you. I started a short story last February about a woman whose father, with whom she had a very complicated relationship, died. A month after I started writing that story, my mom died unexpectedly at 62. I couldn't even look at that story again until late last summer, and made a half-hearted attempt at editing. Then another short story took up my brain, and then my aborted NaNo attempt, and then my third novel.

I finally opened the file on the story again this week, and the time spent away has really been useful. I'm seeing things I completely missed the first time, and I can actually deal with the subject matter without getting too emotional. My perfectionist, type-A, INFJ personality likes to get things done, settled, finalized. I hate leaving things open ended. But in this case, it was a good lesson for me about patience and the practice of editing.

Word-hoard
galeanthrophy: the delusion that one has become a cat

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

    It is hard to be patient with stories and fiction sometimes: When do we push and when do we let it percolate?

    Sounds like you have found some guidance through this experience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, LK. It's hard to believe it's been a year.

    ReplyDelete