Thursday, September 27, 2007

Here's this week's Booking Through Thursday meme:

Buy a Friend a Book Week is October 1-7 (as well as the first weeks of January, April, and July). During this week, you’re encouraged to buy a friend a book for no good reason. Not for their birthday, not because it’s a holiday, not to cheer them up–just because it’s a book.

What book would you choose to give to a friend and why?


Well, the flip answer is that I would just check out their amazon wishlist and see what they want. Or, I'd check out their Library Thing account to see what they've been reading.

Now, to be sentimental, I would probably give them a book of poetry, based on the kind of relationship we have. Some friends would get Billy Collins, others Mary Oliver; one friend might get Daniel Ladinsky's translations of Hafiz, while another might get a collection of Emily Dickinson.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of giving poetry books as gifts. Who wouldn't love Billy Collins or Mary Oliver?
    (Well, unfortunately, I probably know some people who wouldn't - but I'm not going to buy them anything!)

    ReplyDelete