Thursday, February 21, 2008

Myrrh

Myths, Folklore & Symbolism
myrrh: "It is the resin produced by several species of Commiphora, especially C. Myhrra. Because of its fragrance and its healing effects, myrrh played an important role in Indian, oriental, Jewish, and Christian rituals and was an ingredient of the holy anointing oil of the Israelites; in the Bible it is mentioned as one of the gifts of the three kings to the infant Jesus. Due to its bitterness, medicinal properties, and use in mummifying corpses, it symbolically referred to the sufferings and death of Christ as well as to the penance and asceticism of faithful Christians." (Herder)

4 comments:

  1. Julie,

    I am a student and found you while looking for information on The City Beautiful Movement.

    I am struggling to become an effective writer - I can easily verbalize ideas but I have a difficult time translating to paper!

    I find your writing so accessible and when this paper is behind me, I intend to devour your site and blog!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you so much, Kay! You've completely made my day.

    Good luck with the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:48 AM

    When I was in elementary school, I sang the myrrh verse from "We Three Kings" as a solo at the school christmas concert. I always think of that when I hear about myrrh.

    I actually did a pretty good job with that solo. Then my voice changed....

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my son was in kindergarten, he was one of the three wise men and had to sing "We Three Kings". As he was learning the song, he asked me " Mom, where is Orientar?"

    We have yet to find discount air tickets to Orientar but we'll keep looking...

    Kay

    ReplyDelete