Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fairy Rings

Myths, folklore, and symbolism
Fairy Rings: Circle dancing (carol) was the norm in medieval society, but later English dances were so different that dancing in a ring came to seem not merely old-fashioned or childish but uncanny, associated with fairies or witches. When circles of lush, dark, green grass were seen in meadows, they were said to mark the place where fairies had danced, and anybody who set foot in one risked being carried off. Such rings are caused by underground fungi, which at times produce visible toadstools; they persist for years, getting steadily larger, and grazing animals avoid them. No serious belief now attaches to them; at most, a vague idea that it is unlucky to step into one, or, contrariwise, that one can make a wish. (Oxford Dictionary of English Folklore)

Do you know of fairy ring folklore from other countries?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:11 AM

    Ooh! I can so use this in my novel. I love this idea. Thank you so much Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hurrah, I'm so pleased!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a mention of fairy rings in the Armstrong Redwoods State Park in Guerneville, California (in Sonoma County.) Basically it is when a large redwood tree is struck by lightning that daughter trees will spring up in a satellite phenomenon.

    Then later the mother tree may disappear if it has been damaged so much then leaving the "fairy ring."

    I just took someone there a week or so ago and read a sign talking about that. See this link about the park:

    http://www.russianrivertravel.com/parks-armstrong-faqs.htm

    Linda
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:06 PM

    There from Fairies! I've seen faireis, or so I think we were driving to Boston Mass. when I look out into some flowers and see fairies! then we pass by them and I havent seen any since. I swear there are fairies out there!

    ReplyDelete