I'm working on draft 2 of a novel partially set at a small 12th century Burgundian monastery. A few questions for you:
1. would they have a stable of a couple of horses?
2. if so, I'm assuming they'd be palfreys and not chargers?
3. would they name their horses? would they name their monastery cat?
4. what is the role of lay servants in helping to manage the monastery? would young children work as servants?
5. would baskets be used to store items in the kitchen (and the monastery generally)? if so, what kind would they be in Burgundy (e.g., bent willow?)