Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Series 5 of the new Doctor Who has been so delightful, and the finale filled me with glee. Glee! The writing throughout has been excellent, Matt Smith's portrayal top-notch, and the season-long (and multi-season!) arcs fabulous. I think I might be a little in love with Steven Moffat, or at least his brain.

All of which makes this story in i09 disturbing to me: Rumors of Doctor Who movie, with Johnny Depp as the Doctor, written by Russell T. Davies.

...what?

No. It just feels wrong in every way. What, competing Doctor Who franchises? I'm sure Johnny could do a fine job, but my goodness. We've just learned to love Matt Smith, and now you're going to throw a new Doctor into the mix? Would Johnny be Doctor 11.5? Yes, yes, he can do quirky well enough, but come on. And does the world really need a Doctor Who movie? People, do you not remember the X-Files movies? Leave well enough alone.

The Doctor in the hands of Hollywood gives me the shivers, and not in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment