Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Guest Post: Soundtracks

See the intro post for more information on this blog series!

This week, Rima tells us about the music that fuels her writing!

So this week's topic in our magical historical fiction series involves our novel's "soundtracks." I fear that, by sharing what music I used as inspiration for The Noble Pirates, I will lead you all to believe that 1. I have no taste in music and 2. I'm a huge dork. Although you can believe the latter regardless, since it is true.

I listen to music mostly for inspiration. I actually prefer silence while I write, although low-volume instrumental music works fine too. So what inspired me? Soundtrack music. Yes, I mean soundtracks to actual movies. Since I imagine my story as a movie in my head, soundtrack music is pretty appropriate. Ok, let me say that while I did listen to a bit of the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack, my album of choice was The Dark Knight. The movie itself was awesome, and the music got my creative juices flowing, it was so dang epic. I just listened to that album from beginning to end nonstop.

A couple other random things I listened to for inspiration were selections from Hybrid, which is electronica, but... Well, it's very soundtrack-y. My fave was the soundtrack edit of "In Good We Trust." I also listened to OneRepublic and Coldplay.

As for the actual soundtrack of the movie version? I'd hire James Horner or Hans Zimmer and let them have their way with TNP.

Check out my response in Heather's journal and and Heather's in Rima's blog!

Don't forget: commenters on all three blogs during this series are eligible to be entered in a drawing for our books in March!

2 comments:

  1. One song on Pirates inspired a story for me, but I've not listened to The Dark Knight; will have to seek that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The right movie soundtrack can be more than supportive for one's fiction.

    For something I worked on for a long time it was the soundtrack to the 1995 Liam Neeson - Jessica Lange Rob Roy.

    When I moved into setting most of my fiction in African and Afro-Latin milieus, there was no end to the perfect music.

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete