Friday, May 17, 2013

Gratulerer med dagen! Norway's Constitution Day May 17

Gratulerer med dagen (congratulations on the day)! It's Syttende Mai!

Wait. What?
The 17th of May is Norway’s Constitution Day. It is a celebration on the anniversary of the declaration of the Norwegian Constitution signed in 1814. Denmark had ruled Norway since the early 1500s but because they were on the losing side of the Napoleonic wars they traded Norway to Sweden. Norway took this opportunity to reclaim independence, signing their constitution on the 17 May to govern their country – however, the celebrations only lasted 10 days. Sweden was on the winning side of the Napoleonic wars and used their power to overthrow the Norwegian claim for independence. Norway was forced to enter into an agreement with Sweden which is known as The Personal Union of Sweden and Norway. It wasn’t until 7 June 1905 that the union was dissolved and Norway regained its independence. (However, Norway’s independence was not recognised by the Swedish king until October 26 the same year.)

Today the 17th of May is a national holiday and a celebration of Norwegian traditions and culture. The focus of the day is the Children’s Parade which takes place in cities, towns and villages all over the country.  (From My Little Norway)
ThorNews has a wonderful description of what happens on a typical Syttende mai in Norway, and there are some fantastic pins at Pinterest, with photos and artwork celebrating the day.

Syttende mai is also celebrated throughout the world in Norwegian immigrant and ex-pat communities. Unsurprisingly, the celebrations in the upper midwest and Pacific northwest are the largest, with parades, bunad, lefse, pølse, music, kransekake, and lutefisk dinners (which is...well, kind of like a dare, honestly). (Learn more about Syttende Mai around the world at Wikipedia and find a Syttende Mai celebration in the US.)

Norway Day for me is pretty low key; I'll put on my mom's sølje pin and maybe make some Norwegian waffles (my family's recipe here, as part of an interview with Oh, For the Hook of a Book).

But in 2004, my husband and I were lucky enough to be in Oslo on Syttende Mai. All photos are (c) Craig Allyn Rose.

 
The view down Karl Johans gate from the palace toward the Storthing, May 16, 2004.




The view down Karl Johans gate from the palace toward the Storthing, May 17, 2004.

The children's parade is the centerpiece of the day's celebration.

In Oslo, the parade winds past the Royal Palace, where the King and Queen greet the crowds, and then down to the harbor and the City Hall on Oslofjorden (site of the Nobel Peace Prize awards).

In Oslo, after the parade, it seemed everyone relaxed at sidewalk cafes--both real and makeshift.


Of course, it's a great excuse to wear your bunad!








Even the little ones get in on the bunad action!


Syttende mai was very important for Oleanna and her family in 1905 as well--especially when we meet them in the book, as it's John's last Constitution Day with his family. Plus, there's a new excitement in the air...could it be true independence at last?

So, gratulerer med dagen! Raise a glass of akevitt, or at least maybe a pølse (hot dog), in honor of Norway today!

2 comments:

  1. I just love these photos! A belated Happy Constitution Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't you heard about Mr Calvin's blank ATM card and how other people have benefited from it? I'm Mr Randy Rodriguez. I want to share a blog and forums on how to get a real blank ATM card, i thank Mr Calvin who helped me with an already hacked ATM CARD and I was so poor without funds that I got frustrated. One morning while I was going through some stuff on the internet, I came across different comments of people testifying on how Mr Calvin has helped them from being poor to being rich through this already hacked ATM CARD. I was skeptical if this was true, I decided to contact him to know if he is real. He proved to me beyond all doubts that it was real. So I urgently ordered for my own blank ATM card by Contacting his email and today I'm also testifying about the good work of Mr Calvin. I never believed in it until the card was sent to me, which I am using today Contact the company now and become extremely rich too. Email: officialblankatmservice@gmail.com  or  WhatsApp +447937001817

    ReplyDelete