Monday, August 20, 2007

Myths, symbols & folklore
The language of flowers, part one: "Especially in the early 19th century, it was not unusual to express difficult messages by means of flower arrangements. A playful flower-symbology had first emerged toward the end of the 18th century, and it was revived a century later. In 1899 G.W. Gessmann wrote that he hoped his guide to this Blumensprache would 'remind especially our gracious ladies of this most sensible custom.' "

acacia (white): "Your good heart assures me that our friendship will last."
Agave: "I remain favorably disposed to you despite your knavery."
Amaryllis (red): "I respect you from the depths of my soul."
Apple blossom: "Will the glow of love finally redden your delicate cheeks?"
Asphodel: "I expect letters numerous and heartfelt."
Aster (white): "Your true friendship lessens the torment of my misfortune."
Bindweed: "No gaze in the world is so keen, so deep, as the hawk's eye of love."
Bur: "Be assured of my sympathetic attachment and sincerest wish to be of aid."
Carnation (red): "You will be able to resist no longer, once you see the extent of my esteem and love."; also, "My bosom thrills in the rapture of longing"
Carnation (white): "You are the symbol of the closest friendship, for your color remains unchanged until death strips away your petals."
(Biedermann)

No comments:

Post a Comment