Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Myths, symbols & folklore
The language of flowers, part two: "Especially in the early 19th century, it was not unusual to express difficult messages by means of flower arrangements. A playful flower-symbology had first emerged toward the end of the 18th century, and it was revived a century later. In 1899 G.W. Gessmann wrote that he hoped his guide to this Blumensprache would 'remind especially our gracious ladies of this most sensible custom.' "

Centaury: "It is bitter like the truth once told, but just as healing"
Cherry blossom: "My blush at your arrival may reveal to you the quiet fondness that I have for you"
Chive blossom: "I shall follow your sincere good advice"
Clover (four-leaf): "Fortune smiles upon me only when I can share it with you"
Corncockle: "I live for you alone"
Cotton blossom: "The blossoms of our union are yet tender; thus do I tend them with careful love"
Cowslip: "The key to my heaven lies in your angelic heart"
Cuckoopint: "Though life assail you, despair not! The knowledge that you are good and pure will exalt you."
Cyclamen: "With purest inclination I respect you above all else."
Dahlia: My heart is eternally with you; the heart is a thing of the homeland, not of the body."
(Biedermann)

No comments:

Post a Comment