Cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that:
* clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections; and
* obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food.
The Great Strides walk and auction raises money to help find a cure for this disease. My friend Jenn has a daughter, Cassie, who was diagnosed with CF three years ago; Jenn is organizing a fundraising auction to benefit the CF Foundation.
There are a lot of ways you can help:
1. Contribute to the eBay auction that Jenn is coordinating - either by donating items to auction, or bidding on those items
2. Contribute to Team Cassiebug - you don't need to live in Texas to be a part of their Great Strides team!
3. Purchase a copy of Cadberry's Letters, a book written by Jenn to explain CF to kids
Please, take a moment to visit her post at http://tapestrymlp.livejournal.com/395008.html to learn more about CF and the details on how you can help contribute and make a difference.
I also challenge you to spread Jenn's post and this information far and wide. We have a huge network of friends, communities, colleagues, and family on the Internet and beyond - if we all take a moment to spread the word and take the time to contribute, we really can help make CF history!